This route is off the beaten track. We will explore the north-western part of Russia and Karelia to see interesting places which are not frequently visited by tourists. We will visit small towns and villages, find hidden ancient monuments lost in these settlements, stay in local houses and learn about various ethnic minorities inhabiting these lands. We will hear local stories told by Russian and Veps “babushkas” and learn how to enjoy real Russian banja. You will experience true Russian hospitality!
Main hightlights of the trip
- several days to explore St. Petersburg, the world-known northern capital of Russia
- see ancient Russian fortresses in Novgorod, Staraya (Old) Ladoga and Vyborg
- admire fantastic skills of anceint Russian wood carvers and constructors in villages and on Kizhi Island
- stay in local homes with families of Sheltozero village
- try Russian borsh, selyodka, blinys and banja.